Wednesday, December 4, 2013

This little end table by the Mersman company was in such poor condition no one would buy it at an online estate auction. So when I went to pick up my other items, the auctioneer said, 'Are you sure you can't do anything with that little Mersman?' What a sweet little table with its triple column base and splayed legs, albeit it at 3 different lengths and missing trim. I thought it had tons of potential. So, I made an offer and brought it home.










Mersman is a furniture company in the United States that has made tables under many different names since the 1870s. My favorites are their Mid Century tables. They're always excellent quality and have great lines. Though mass produced in their later years, they have become a hot collectors' item. Do a search on Ebay and see how hot this brand is right now!

So, I brought this little guy home and played with it a bit. I sturdied up the legs, did a little sanding, gave it a coat of "Tiffany" colored milk paint (my favorite) over the top of hand cut paisley patterned tape appliques I made to reveal some of the beautiful wood tone through the new paint.



When it dried and I removed the tape I felt it still needed a little something, so I added some hand painted white paisleys to the top. Then I felt like the white was too stark. AH!! So, I sanded the whole top again. Oooh. Now I liked it!




Threw a coat of natural beeswax furniture wax on it and wallah! I hope someone gives this little Mersman a new home Friday or Saturday as it'll be on sale at the Parlor City Indie Market and Craft Faire.

Watch for these tables at antique sales and flea markets or call me if you have any you want to unload. I'll even take the uglies and try to give them a new lease on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment