Thursday, November 14, 2013

Bench Retro Redo

Here's a nice little Mid Century bench. Good and solid, but the wood is a little scratched up and the fabric is gawdawful. Poor thing. It wants a makeover!

So, we start by taking the top off - SO easy, it's just attached with 4 screws.

I used my recently purchased 100% natural Ginger's Milk Paint in Eiffel Tower Gray. I mixed it with bonding agent because I don't want this piece to be 'chippy'... that would be the WRONG look for this style of furniture. I can't say that I love using milk paint yet. It's like trying to train a wild animal, you just never really know what's going to happen with it.



But, this time, it came out perfect!

I recently bought a piece of vintage fabric at a flea market. This is straight out of the 50s. I just love the funky little pattern. I'm an orange fan and grays are SO in right now, I decided to go for it.

You put the fabric on, make sure your pattern is straight and start stapling! Always start in the middle on one side, put about 3 staples in (or about 6" attachment) then go to the opposite side, pull the fabric nice and tight (without causing creases) and staple on the opposite side of the staples you just put in. Next you do the other end, then you work from the middle sections to the corners leaving about the last 2" loose. Once you have the sides all secured your goal is to have taught corners without loose fabric or hard creases or corners of fabric sticking out. You can achieve this by working your way around the corner, making small creases in the fabric, pull it all tight and staple it down fast before it gets away! Don't get your fingers!
 

Then put the cushion back on the bench with the original 4 screws! Easy peasey.



No comments:

Post a Comment