Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Dilemma of Heirlooms - Mrs. Hodge, Please Come Get Your Basket!

I have this incredible dilemma when I come across something that I feel is clearly a family heirloom... Do I sell it or try to track down the family it belongs to. Obviously, I am selling items to make money, so I can't do this with every item I have. And, I buy a lot of the items at estate sales or auctions, so in reality, I try to tell myself, these families already decided they didn't want these items!

I had a huge box of photos all from one family once and I fantasized about sending it to them and then laughed to myself thinking when they opened it they would be all aghast and upset, saying, OH MY GOD, we can NOT get rid of these things! 'Mary, didn't you just dump these at the auction house?! WHY are they here again!?'

Now, here I am with this commemorative silver plated basket from 1905 that I really just love. The thing is so darling I can't stand it. On one side it says "From The Dorcas Society" and on the other it says "Mrs. Hodge - 1905".


I'm listing the basket on ebay today, but I will end the auction if anyone with the last name of Hodge contacts me or if anyone who can prove they are a relative or decedent of 'the' Mrs. Hodge listed on this particular basket. You can have the basket for $10 (that's what I paid for it). I would love to have the family of Mrs. Hodge have this basket! 

No comments:

Post a Comment