Thursday, September 12, 2013

2 of Hearts

I'm having a hard time letting this stoneware jug go. It has SO much character! The brown glaze on the top drips down creating great color variations. The left side of the jug dips in a bit and you can just picture the jug in sitting in its raw clay form slubbing down under its own weight. There are crystallized brown pieces of its use memorializing its history that I just don't have the heart to scrape or clean off.

There's a great story about the hunt to identify the maker of the heart logo on here: http://www.santafetradingpost.com/jugs.html under the box: The Heart Logo Mystery. I hate to spoil the story and skip to the end because it's a terribly fun read, but in case any of you won't want to read it, the logo was identified as stoneware from the Barley & Winter Pottery Company from Crooksville, OH. The jug was likely made in the early 1900s and if you read the story you'll find there aren't many of these around!

So, you see, I just love this jug that I have come to refer to as "The 2 of Hearts Jug" so
you may have to peel the jug out of my hands if you buy it at the bargain price of $50.

No comments:

Post a Comment